Tuesday, February 12, 2008

School Shopping

I can't believe that I'm actually writing about sending my darling Cleis to Kindergarten, she will be enrolling in the 2008-2009 school year. Before Tony and I ever had children this school stuff was not an area we ever agreed on. I am a for private school and my other half doesn't feel it necessary. So off began my research several months ago (actually 4 years ago) on the schools that are offered in our cluster. In our community that is how we are grouped - depending on boundaries you have what is called a cluster of schools and that is what you choose from. And then you also have the option to choose from a Magnet/Traditional program.

After many hours and much research I put together my findings and off we went to interview and tour the schools I felt like were the best choices. It was amazing some of the things I discovered. To name a few, some teachers and rooms extremely organized or neatly organized and then some I'm not sure how they know where to find their students. Most teachers looked like they were there to teach the kids and not just getting a paycheck or looking for a friend. Others looked liked they just crawled out of bed and put on their best jogging suit and stopped at the BP to pick them up a Big Gulp to slurp on all day.

As Tony put it, it's like buying a boat. You find a boat with most of your options but it still has some things you don't like about it. Then there's another boat with most of the same options but has one different option you like too or don't like. So you go with the option that you think will serve you best.

Well I hope that is what Tony and I have done. You are given the choice of two schools and the option to apply for the Traditional program. For our two choices we actually only went with one school. We felt strongly about our first choice and all the other schools we looked at were low on our like list. We also applied for the Traditional program, this is a gamble as the student is chosen by a lottery.

It will be several weeks before we know where Cleis will be going to school next year but we are keeping our fingers crossed she will be chosen for one of our choices or there will be two very upset parents going back to the drawing board.

We'll keep you posted on the outcome.

No comments: