Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Part II Island Hosting

I'm not sure where I should start on this issue. In the house that we rented it included an Island host. My interpretation of an island host is someone that will be there to meet you and greet you upon your arrival, help you with your things, show you around, tell you about the place your visiting. Possibly make some recommendations of things to do, places you should go check out or explore, etc. A person that would be there for you should you need something. Well, we didn't get any of that. I'm not quite sure where it all went wrong, I can only assume it started off wrong when we arrived.
On our arrival day we did have some confusion but nothing that should be held against us to treat us like step-children. Of course it had to be pouring down rain the day we arrived and we were early. Creating mistake number 1 - our island host wasn't ready for us. When we arrived at the docks and the island ferry needed to unload our stuff - there was total chaos. My personal opinion when we told the island ferry who our island host was he wasn't surprised this was happening. But just so happens there was another island host there that was waiting for his wife, who happened to be on the same ferry with us. He and his wife volunteered to help us out and help us get our things out of the pouring rain. In the meantime someone was able to locate our island host and he came over, my personal opinion again in a full tizzy. Instead of being calm, and dealing with the situation that was he was very upset, I felt he took it out on us. He let us know he wasn't happy and basically how horrible this was for him. He let us know of all the things he still had to do to get the house ready and how the ladies were going to be rushed. But here's the kicker - he wanted to make sure he was taken care of and that we took care of the ladies upstairs. So my first feeling of the island was hungry, money grubbing host. Personally I don't think he needed to tell us how to handle our tipping or who to tip. I also think he was to be our host for the week, he would have received our tip at the end.
Mistake #2 - our scheduled charter fishing excursion. I'll actually save this for another post. It's a story all in itself.
Mistake #3 - On the day of our fishing charter we actually talked to him about our hot tub. For starters it was entirely too hot and it needed chlorine. So we made mention of this on our fishing charter. To which he said, I'll come look at it. Well a day went by and nothing. So on the second day my aunt calls him to let him know we need some chlorine. He tells her he will be over with it. About middle of the day a man comes walking up to us from the Safety Harbor Club and gives us a few tablets of chlorine. Bad host!
Mistake #4 - Which this one does me in and I wasn't even there for it. It was departure day and our wonderful host was to help with departure and help get our things back over to the docks for the ferry pick-up. Well he calls my aunt or maybe my aunt called him. Not sure on the story there. Anyway the story was he wasn't going to be able to help because his boat wasn't starting. Um, wait a second here, he has two boats and they were both broke. I'm not buying that story.

Again this is my opinion and how I saw things but I do have to say this was a HUGE negative for me and if I ever went back to Upper Captiva the first thing I would want to know is who will my island host be, because if it's this sorry excuse we had for an island host - I won't be returning.

No comments: