Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tubes are coming!

I've posted several times that Chloe has been having trouble with her ears. This week alone we have been to the doctor twice and it's only hump day.

About mid-week last week I noticed Chloe heading downhill again and I knew the ear infection was not gone. I hoped I was wrong but as the week went on and the weekend came things only became worse. We had a follow-up scheduled for Tuesday and I thought I'll wait and we'll get the news then. Well on Monday Chloe woke up and still had her fever and I knew I had better go ahead and call and have her seen. The findings were as I thought, ear infection still there. This time we were more less at a loss for what to do, the antibiotics weren't working, we couldn't repeat the antibiotic we just finished days before, she couldn't take the other antibiotic (Augmentin) because it has some of the same drugs in it which she is allergic too. The doctor did go ahead and prescribe Zithromax but did not think it would work but thought we should try to see. And sent us on to the ENT for a evaluation.

Our evaluation at the ENT showed what we expected. Chloe definitely needs tubes. The hearing test already showed signs of hearing loss. She has a large amount of fluid on her ears and we need to act quickly on getting these tubes placed. We are scheduled for surgery next Friday, June 2 for the tubes. We will re-test her hearing one month following the tubes and hopefully things will check out okay and it was only the fluid causing her to have hearing loss. The doctor did want to keep her on an antibiotic until her surgery to hopefully get rid of some of the fluid. We are back to the Omnicef and this drug does seem to help Chloe and keep her in good spirits.

I will follow-up after her surgery next Friday.

No comments: